Wisdom Tooth Extractions – Dallas, TX
Expert, Safe Wisdom Tooth Removal
While our Paleolithic ancestors used their wisdom teeth to digest a diet heavy in tough meats and hard nuts, today, we don’t have much use for them. In fact, many dentists recommend removing wisdom teeth as a preventive measure to reduce the risk of infection, orthodontic issues, and pain as a result of them growing. If you or your teenager is looking for an experienced dentist who can provide wisdom tooth extractions in Dallas, look no further than Dr. Patel and call our wonderful team at Prestige Dental.
Why Choose Prestige Dental for Wisdom Tooth Extractions?
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation Dentistry Available
- Cone Beam CT Imaging System
- Dentist with 20+ Years of Experience
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth, also commonly referred to as third molars, are the last teeth to erupt in your mouth, typically between the ages of 16 and 24. People can be born with no wisdom teeth, one, two, three, or all four of them based on genetics, and not every person will need to have theirs removed. Whether you require a wisdom tooth extraction will depend on if they pose a threat to your oral health.
Why Do Wisdom Teeth Need to Be Removed?
Not all wisdom teeth need to be removed. We often recommend this procedure for patients who are in the following situations:
- Have wisdom teeth that are impacted below the gumline.
- Put you at risk of developing orthodontic issues because there isn’t enough room in your mouth to hold them.
- Are causing you pain and discomfort.
- Are causing gum swelling and inflammation.
- This could lead to jaw problems.
- Increase your risk of developing oral health problems.
- Could impact your sinuses.
What to Expect from a Wisdom Tooth Extraction
There are two types of wisdom tooth extractions: simple and surgical. If your wisdom teeth are impacted below the gumline, Dr. Patel will need to access them by making a small incision in the gums. This will allow him to seamlessly remove them and suture the gums. If they are exposed, he’ll use dental forceps and an elevator to gently wiggle the teeth free of connective tissues and raise them out of the gumline.
Depending on the type of extraction you require, you may need to be under sedation. In any case, our team will make sure that you’re comfortable throughout the treatment. After your procedure, we’ll provide you and your loved one with aftercare instructions to help speed up your healing process and minimize your risk of complications.
Recovering from Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Our team will provide you with detailed wisdom tooth extraction aftercare instructions before you leave our dental office, which include:
- Take any prescribed medications as directed.
- Drink plenty of liquids, being sure to not use straws.
- Rinse your mouth and avoid brushing directly over the extraction site.
- Maintain a soft diet for the recommended amount of time following your treatment.
- Place a cold compress on the outside of your face to minimize any swelling and help with the pain.
- If you experience pain that only seems to get worse, call our office immediately.